Saturday, July 21, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

Well, I'm back. It's been a while since I've posted. I'm sorry if I've let you down. Don't you just hate when you get so excited to check all your usual blog stops only to find no new posts? Maybe that's just me and my compulsive checking habits. Anyways, last week Josh and I housesat for my parents (i.e. took care of the dog). For some reason, their computer was acting up and neither of us could get internet access on our laptops. So, I wasn't able to update. It was probably a good break though. I'm coming back refreshed and ready to blog.

Monday is my dad's birthday. 54, I think. His Sunday school class was putting together a video of his life and asked me to gather some pictures. I love projects like this! Of course, I agreed and began the search. My mom's "craft closet" is upstairs in a spare bedroom and holds all of our family picture albums. What fun it was to look at the life of my Dad as he was growing up. I wondered what he would have been like as a little kid. How he would have talked or walked or laughed. It's so hard trying to envision someone I've always known as an adult as a child. But I had fun trying. Then there were the pictures of he and my mom while they were in college, at their wedding, on their honeymoon. How fun would it be to go back in time and double date with them? Weird, but fun.

As I went through countless albums, of course I came across plenty of awkward pictures of myself growing up. So many times I wonder: Mom, what were you thinking letting me go out in public looking like that? Oh well, I guess everybody's past is filled with bad haircuts, big glasses, and horrendous outfits. This picture caught my eye because in it I'm holding my beloved Cabbage Patch Kid (CPK), Yolanda. Man, we had some good times together. A few of my blogging friends Sunni and Simri have recently posted about their CPKs so I thought they'd enjoy this pic. Here's to Yolanda...and mushroom haircuts.

15 comments:

Bex said...

this photo is amazing. i wish your mushroom haircut twin, kristen, could find her photo. you would love it.

meredith ziafat said...

i recognize this little girl! this pic was taken in front of my old house on my 5th birthday. it was a cabbage patch party! love the purple tie, nat. looking good, my friend! glad we're still friends after 22 years. i love you!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Tiffani had a mushroom cut as well. Love it!

Kristyn said...

nat-love the pic! you're so welcome for the g.c. It's really the least we could do for opening your home to us! let me know when you're going, I'd love to go if we're in town. Their aug. menu looked like it had some really good stuff on it.

Kristyn said...

nat-love the pic! you're so welcome for the g.c. It's really the least we could do for opening your home to us! let me know when you're going, I'd love to go if we're in town. Their aug. menu looked like it had some really good stuff on it.

Chilton Family said...

HAHAHA!! I had that same hair cut too...you are soo cute! Also..my CPK's name was Luther Greg. Of course I had a boy doll. What were my parents thinking? HAHA!! Love you!

Meredith said...

Oh, children of the '80s...don't we all have a picture out there like this - the tie, cabbage patch doll and the oh-so-stylish mushroom haircut! :)

Kentsten said...

Bex is right, we could definitely been a twins with different hair colors. I was in love with 3 CPK dolls, Xena (a premie), Lyle (red head), and Sheldon (african american). I wonder if that is prophecy for the kids I will adopt from around the world. Oh, and I will try to find the picture.

Sum said...

this is oh-so-lovely.

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I had a mushroom cut as well. I think I referred to it as the "bowl cut."
I too had CPK's. And, we kept ALL of them!! They are at my parents house in their crib. Of course I had a crib to house ALL of them! There were several between my sister and I.
You are the first person to notice the 44 out of 50 things. :)

Sum said...

p.s. Natalie it's time for me to stalk you again. Be prepared for this to happen once finals are done in about a week. yesssssssss

chavon taylor said...

that is amazing! i bought my little niece her first CPK for christmas and she now wears matching outfits with it. i still have Gayle, my first one, going strong... although she is shoved in the top of my closet right now. geez, now i feel guilty.

Those Tonnes said...

I have an obsess need to check everyones blog too. And I am so glad you finally updated. I too indeed have a CPK and when I see them in the store nowadays I really remember how fun they were. The girl that I nanny for has one, and it is still so fun to play with. Hope you are doing well. Family camp this week?

Pen the Tale said...

awesome!

looking forward to seeing you all friday!!

Lauren Williams said...

I love this picture! haha! i never had a CPK or a mushroom cut but i remember wishing i did! yes, i envied mushroom cuts, braces and retainers as a child. what was wrong with me??